Bone broths are currently all the rage, even now being served in to go coffee cups at various spots around the country. This news won’t come as a surprise to my clients, incorporating bone broths daily into meals is a foundation to most programs I recommend. At first, this suggestion is met with skepticism. I even had one client exclaim, “I feel so great, I don’t even need the chicken soup.” The key is you still need the broth, even when you do feel great! Bone broths offer many benefits which I’ve previously covered. These include:
1) Supports healthy hydration
2) Balances blood sugar and heals the digestive tract *Add 1 tsp. of coconut oil and a sprinkle of colored sea salt to each cup of broth for full benefits.
3) Bioavailable source of important minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, and sulphur. Also contains chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, the compounds sold as expensive supplements to reduce inflammation, arthritis and joint pain.
4) Contains both collagen (the source of immune boosting benefits) and gelatin (hello, gorgeous, vibrant skin).
5) Source of amino acids arginine, glycine, glutamine and proline, which aren’t produced well by your body if you are ill or stressed.
It’s quite simple to make bone broths at home, but now our friends at Pacific Foods have made it even easier. They now offer delicious, flavorful, nutrient-rich bone broths at most grocery stores and conveniently on Amazon.com. Each cup (8 ounces) offers 9 grams of protein (more than an egg, 6 grams) and more than double the calcium and 30% more iron than Pacific’s traditional broth and stock.
How do they make bone broth? The same way I recommend! With organic, free-range chicken or turkey, onion, apple cider vinegar and spices and slow simmered for 12 hours,which as you know pulls out essential nutrients from bones. And of course, the broths are always free of any additives like MSG, yeast, sugar or gluten. They taste delicious on their own as a warm beverage, to help you recover from your workout or a stomach bug, and they can be used as a base for hearty soups, stews, and braised dishes.
Try one for yourself and leave a comment below with what you think!
*Pacific Foods was proud to share these new products with me, and generously sent me samples in cute 8oz sizes, so I could pass along the information to you!