It’s no secret that I love to roast vegetables in the oven. You will too, once you try this foolproof method for cooking broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, kale etc. I’ve detailed the benefits of roasting vegetables, especially the Brassicas, in my post for The Paleo Diet. However, I don’t think I drove the point home clearly enough so here’s why I love roasted veggies:
1. Roasting enhances the flavor– making them sweet which is perfect for getting kids to enjoy them.
2. There is no need to blanch, boil, or otherwise pre-cook vegetables before putting them into a hot oven.
3. Clean up is minimal!
So here’s my big kitchen trick. Learn this one method to cook vegetables and you won’t need another recipe to pull together the sides for dinner each night. Don’t like the idea of eating foods with similar flavors each night? No problem. Add different spices and seasonings to keep it interesting. For example, enhance the finished product with any one of these: garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, curry, thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes, fresh parsley or basil.
Let’s learn how to do this properly.
Primarily Paleo Foolproof Roasted Vegetables
Vegetable of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Chop your clean vegetable into similar sized pieces for uniform cooking. The smaller the pieces the faster they will cook.
3. Place chopped vegetables into a large bowl.
4. Coat thoroughly with olive oil– this keeps them from drying out.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet (yes, the parchment paper is key to the browning and saves you having to wash the pan). Don’t overcrowd the pan in order to allow the air to circulate.
7. Roast in the oven until light brown on the side touching the baking sheet. This takes roughly 7-10 minutes, depending on how thin or small you cut the pieces.
8. Turn the vegetables over to brown the other side for an additional 7-10 minutes.
The two photos will give you an idea of how the finished product will appear.